Sounds like a great time to me. LOHAS is an acronym for Lifestyle of Health and Sustainability. This is a group of consumers or for lack of a better word “demographic” for those who care about the environment and are focused on products that have been sustainably and mindfully produced. They have no problem spending money to buy better and to change the world.
This particular phrase, LOHAS, has been around since late 1990’s early 2000’s. Coined by Paul h. Ray, Ph.D. The areas that this customer base care about encompass things like organic foods, stylish sustainable clothing, natural makeup, alternative medicines and wellness, fitness and personal development/discovery and individual spirituality. Throw in what these consumers drive, energy efficient appliances and solar panels and you have about nailed this group down. They are a very sophisticated and evolved group of humans. And you may have never heard about them but you just might be one!
Here are a couple questions for you to determine if you fall into this category.
- Do you care about the environment and what your impact does to it?
- Do you care about social justice issues?
- Do you care what kind of ingredients are in your personal care products?
- Would you spend extra for organic and sustainably raised produce and foods?
- Do you want equality for women and more women in leadership roles?
- Are you optimistic about the future?
- Do you have a dislike for all the emphasis being put on acquiring material wealth?
- Do you like experiencing and learning about other ways of life around the globe?
- Is your health and wellness a priority?
- Do you want to be involved in creating a better way of life and world for all?
If you answered yes to 6 or more than you are probably one of them. That is a good thing. It means that you are awake and aware to the world and what we are facing as a global society.
LOHAS consumers are not defined by age, generation, occupation, status or education. They are motivated by something different. They are willing to LIVE their values, morals and ethics out loud!
LOHAS beware. You will be open to a lot of judging and name calling. Things like “treehugger”, “hippie” or even “granola”. Being called these names is so 1980’s. We have evolved past all of this. So, if you are going to call them names, at least get with the times. LOHAS be prepared to stand strong on your views and know that when someone tries to belittle you or make fun of you, it usually says more about them than you. Shining a light on doing good in the world is never wrong. Your choices will make an impact in this world. Choose to make a positive one.